The School of Mathematics and Statistics runs many events for internal and external participants. Some are aimed at high school students, like the annual UNSW School Mathematics Competition and Girls Do The Maths. We also run several professional development courses, such as our regular Statistical Methods for Research Workers short courses and Professional Development courses for teachers.
On a grander scale, the School has organised and hosted several major international conferences and public lectures, including:
- Risk: Modelling, Optimization and Inference (with Applications in Finance, Insurance and Superannuation)
- Prof Terry Speed AMSI-SSAI Lecture Tour: "A new frontier: understanding epigenetics through mathematics
- ABC in Sydney
- Prof Karen Parshall public lecture
- Limits to Growth - symposium and Q&A
- Can Maths Save the Planet? forum
- 36ACCMCC: The 36th annual Australasian Conference on Combinatorial Mathematics and Combinatorial Computing
- "Glimpses of a Mathematical World", a public lecture by Professor Eric Friedlander
- The 2012 International Workshop on Operator Theory and its Applications (IWOTA 2012)
- UNSW-CSIRO Workshop - "Risk: modelling, optimization and inference"
- The Third China-Australia Conference on Partial Differential Equations and Related Topics
- MCQMC 2012 - 10th International Conference on Monte Carlo and Quasi-Monte Carlo Methods in Scientific Computing
- 10th Annual Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute (AMSI) Summer School