FAQ - Postgraduate Research

Q: What is expected of me as a postgraduate student? What can I expect from my supervisor and from the School?
A: For an outline of what is expected of you and what you can expect of your supervisor and the School, see the UNSW Graduate Research School, which contains guidelines and procedures for UNSW postgraduate research students. 

Q: How do I find out what research is being performed in the School?
A: You can read about the research groups and research interests of staff for the Departments of Applied Mathematics, Pure Mathematics and Statistics

Q: I am ready to submit my thesis. How do I do it?
A: The UNSW Graduate Research School has information on thesis submission, plus a guide to Thesis Submission and Examination at UNSW.

Q: Who should I go to for academic advice?
A: Your supervisor and/or your co-supervisor will be an excellent source of academic advice. Other staff members with related research interests might be able to offer you advice as well. To find out what other staff members' research interests are, read about the research groups and interests in the School for the Departments of Applied Mathematics, Pure Mathematics and Statistics.

You can also talk to the Postgraduate Research Director, or the Head of Department.

Q: How can I resolve a problem with my supervisor or with the School?
A: Please see Grievances.

Q: What financial assistance is available?
A: See Obtaining Funding, which provides information about scholarships and other sources of funding for postgraduate research students.

Q: Who do I go to enrol?
A: Please see the Teaching Support Officer, Red Centre East, Level 3, Room 3088.