If you are an Advanced Mathematics or Advanced Science student, then Honours is built into your program. For all other students, if you are keen on Mathematics and have achieved good results in years 1 to 3, you should consider embarking on an Honours year.
Below you can find some specific information about Applied Mathematics Honours.
For other information about doing Honours in Applied Mathematics, see the Honours Page.
Honours Coordinator - Applied
Dr Amandine Schaeffer
Phone: 9385 1679
Office: Room 4102, Red Centre (Centre Wing), UNSW
If you have any questions about the Honours year, don't hesitate to contact the Honours Coordinator. In particular, if you are just starting third year and vaguely thinking ahead to Honours, then it is important to choose a sufficiently wide variety of third year courses. Please see the Honours Coordinator to discuss your choice of courses.
Suggested Honours Topics
The following are suggestions for possible supervisors and Honours projects in Applied Mathematics. Other projects are possible, and you should contact any potential supervisors to discuss your options.
- Models of cell division in bacteria and archaea.
- Please contact Dr Cai directly (firstname.lastname@example.org) for potential honours projects.
- The Insulin Signalling Pathway in Adipocytes - A Mathematical Investigation
- Do glucose transporters queue to get to the cell surface?
- Modelling Myelinated Nerve Function
- Lagrangian coherent structures in haemodynamics (blood flow)
- Gene thieves: how a nudibranch incorporates the stinging cells of the Bluebottle jellyfish (co-supervision Fabio Zanini, Fabilab). More info here.
- High-dimensional numerical integration with applications to Bayesian statistics
- Monte Carlo splitting method for integrals with quasi-monotone integrands
- Dynamical kernel methods for big data
- The theoretical development and/or practical application of Quasi-Monte Carlo methods
- Approximate cloaking simulation
- Analysis of changing data and applications
- Hierarchical Matrices.
- Approximating the fractional powers of an elliptical differential operator
- Localization of eigenfunctions
The role of the Landau-Lifshitz-Gilbert equation in the theory of novel magnetic memories.
- Problems in random domains
- Boundary element methods
- Digital resources in Mathematics: What makes them effective for learning?
- Mathematical learning communities
- Peer to peer support for Mathematics students
- Learning Mathematics on the move via mobile devices
- Random walks and fractional calculus
- Topics in dynamical systems and ergodic theory
- Transfer operator analysis with applications to fluid mixing
- Extreme value statistics for chaotic systems
- Positivity, Monotonicity, and Convexity Results for Discrete Fractional Operators
- Algebraic dynamics
- Discrete integrable systems
- Topics in Soliton Theory
- Advanced Studies in differential equations
- A Deeper Understanding of Discrete and Continuous Systems Through Analysis on Time Scales
- Advanced Studies in Nonlinear Difference Equations
- Topics in Integer Programming and Combinatorial Optimisation
- Stochastic Integer Programming
- Nonlinear and mixed integer optimization with application to radiotherapy
- Optimising fluid mixing
- Multo-objective optimization under data uncertainty
- Robust optimisation and data mining
- Semi-algebraic geometry and polynomial optimisation
- Semi-algebraic optimization and diffusion tensor imaging
- Rank optimisation problem
- Optimisation approaches for tensor eigenvalue problems: modern techniques for multi-relational data analysis
- Nonconvex polynomial optimisation
- Higher-order Voronoi cells
- Hyperbolicity cones
- Lagrangian Coherent Structures in Ocean and Atmosphere Models
- New constraints on large-scale tropospheric transport from global trace-gas measurements
- Ocean biogeochemistry
- Construction of matrix models for geophysical flows
- Turbulence modelling
- Simulating fractal curves in turbulent fluid flows
- Investigating transport pathways in the ocean with Lagrangian Coherent Structures
- Submesoscale ocean dynamics
- Ocean mixing and the absolute velocity in the ocean
- Forming the integrating factor for neutral density in the ocean
- The role of tides in the modulating heat in the East Australian Current (with Colette Kerry)
- Cold spells in the East Australian Current (with Michael Hemming)
- Trends in bottom temperatures in the East Australian Current (with Neil Malan)
- Dynamics of surface dispersion and retention at the ocean's surface.
- Building an ocean heat budget from observations
- Exploring the theory of Navier-Stokes equations and their applications to fluid flow
- Distilling the ocean's role in climate using thermodynamic diagrams
- Linking the seasonal cycle of ocean water masses to transient climate change
- Asymmetry of the ocean's thermohaline circulation