The project is a compulsory part of any masters coursework program, and is worth 12 Units of Credit (UoC). It involves writing a thesis, i.e. a coherent written exposition of a chosen topic. The project gives the student an opportunity to make practical use of the knowledge gained through their masters program, and to learn to work independently. It prepares the student for the problem-solving and report-writing aspects of future employment, or for progression to a research degree. The thesis could include a literature survey and a critical analysis of the topic area, or could be a small research project.
- Guidelines for Masters of Mathematics (8719), Masters of Statistics (8750) and Master of Financial Mathematics (8161) Project
Forms and related files
- unsw-crest.pdf - the UNSW crest as a pdf file, for use with pdflatex.
- unsw-crest.eps - the UNSW crest as an eps file, for use with latex.
- unsw-sms-masters-thesis-template.tex - a skeleton LaTeX file to help you get started.
- unswthesis.cls - the UNSW thesis style file, adapted for the School.
To use this style file, the start of your LaTeX document should include the line
- mxxx = mfin for the Master of Financial Mathematics;
- mxxx = mmath for the Master of Mathematics;
- mxxx = mstat for the Master of Statistics.
For any further queries, please contact the Director of Postgraduate Coursework studies.