Each year, the School of Mathematics and Statistics offers a number of Scholarships to students entering UNSW and enrolling in programs of study including Mathematics or Statistics majors or study plans. These are reviewed annually, and may be renewed for up to the minimum durations of the program.
Applicants should note that the Scholarships and their conditions (including availability and value) are subject to review and the closing dates may vary from year to year. Ongoing Scholarships are subject to the continued satisfactory progress of the recipient as a full-time undergraduate student.
The School may offer more than one scholarship in one or more categories, or none if there are no candidates of sufficient merit.
Details of the Undergraduate Scholarships
The School of Mathematics and Statistics Indigenous Scholarship aims to encourage and support Indigenous Australian students to undertake study in the School of Mathematics and Statistics at UNSW. Awarded to an Australian Indigenous student who is of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent, and identifies as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander, and who is:
- Commencing full-time study in a Bachelor of Advanced Science or (Advanced Mathematics), including dual-award degrees with a declared major in the School of Mathematics & Statistics - Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Adv Science, Bachelor of Adv Maths, Bachelor of Data Sci and Decisions and dual degrees including one of the above.
- Apply via: UNSW Scholarships online
Awarded to two students (one female and one male), based on academic merit, who are:
- Commencing full-time undergraduate study in a Bachelor of Advanced Science or Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics), including dual-award degrees with a declared major in Mathematics. Preference may be given to applicants who were members of the Mathematical Olympiad, or performed well in the
- Apply via: UNSW Scholarships online
Students must be undertaking a Science/Education degree with a declared major in Mathematics. Students must remain in this program of study to continue to receive the Scholarship.
- Academic merit, and
- A written statement of 500 words addressing their interest in becoming a Mathematics teacher, and an academic reference from their high school maths teacher.
This Scholarship aims to encourage and support students from rural areas to undertake full time study in the School of Mathematics and Statistics.
Students must remain in a degree where they are undertaking a Mathematics or Statistics study plan. They must also maintain a high level of achievement in their University studies.
Sydney, the Central Coast, Newcastle, Wollongong, the Blue Mountains and their surrounding areas are not classified as rural for the purposes of this Scholarship.
School of Mathematics and Statistics Advanced Maths Honours Scholarship - UGCA1577 (Two Awards)
Awarded to two students (one female and one male) identified by the Head of School in consultation with a committee.
Normally this will be the students with the highest WAM in any Advanced Mathematics program at the end of Term 2 who will be enrolling in Honours in the following year.
This scholarship will provide $5,000 per awardee (total), if the selected students enrol in Honours in Advanced Mathematics. The students identified will be announced and awarded at the annual Advanced Mathematics Day event.
- Based on academic merit, the successful candidates will be selected for this scholarship by the Head of School in consultation with a committee.
Awarded to two recipients each year (one female and one male). Applicants must be undertaking full time study in a Bachelor of Advanced Science or Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics) including dual-award degrees with a major in mathematics and/or statistics.
Applicants will be assessed on academic merit. Preference may be given to applicants who were members of the Mathematical Olympiad, or based on an applicant's results.
UGCA1200 The purpose of the Award is to encourage two exceptional students, identified as recipients of The Beautiful Mind Scholarship, to undertake study at UNSW. This scholarship is sponsored by Michael Dorrell, Senior Managing Director at Stonepeak Partners, New York. Michael has been investing in the infrastructure space for over a decade, and has one of the most successful investment track records in the North American infrastructure investment sector.
- Apply: Students are selected for this scholarship (must be a recipient of The Beautiful Mind Scholarship, above)
Awarded to one female and one male recipient who are commencing full time study in the , and who have completed the NSW HSC (or interstate equivalent) in the year prior to enrolling, or in the previous two years prior to enrolment (provided no tertiary study was undertaken during this period).
Recipients are selected on academic merit. Candidates should also provide a written statement of 500 words or less addressing their interest in the Quantitative Data Science stream of the program.
Undergraduate Prizes and Awards
We also award annual prizes and awards to high achieving current undergraduate students. The webpage for this info is currently being updated, and we will provide the link to it here soon.
Honours scholarships are also available.