Teaching Fellow - Mathematics
Job no: 497720
Work type: Fixed term / Full time
Location: Sydney, NSW
Categories: Tutor, Scholarship, Post doctoral research fellow
- One of Australia’s leading research & teaching universities
- Vibrant campus life with a strong sense of community & inclusion
- Enjoy a career that makes a difference by collaborating & learning from the best
At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work.
The School of Mathematics and Statistics currently has more than sixty continuing academic staff and more than thirty research staff as well as visiting academics. UNSW is the only university in Australia to be ranked in the top 100 in the world in Mathematics and Statistics by each of the four ranking bodies: CWTS Leiden, ARWU, USNews, QS. The School embodies a broad range of research interests in the areas of applied and pure mathematics and statistics. It has particular research strengths in Algebra Analysis Number Theory, Bayesian and Monte Carlo Methods, Biomathematics, Biostatistics and Ecology, Combinatorics, Computational Mathematics, Data Science, Dynamical Systems and Integrability, Finance and Risk Analysis Fractional Calculus, Functional and Harmonic Analysis, Geometry and Mathematical Physics, Nonparametric Statistics, Ocean and Atmospheric Sciences, Optimisation, Stochastic Analysis, Stochastic Modelling. The School's research groups are interconnected, with frequent interactions between groups and with other schools and faculties both within and outside UNSW. The School is currently expanding its teaching and research programs in Data Science.
The School teaches approximately 10,000 individual students in 150 active courses in science, engineering and other areas. For administrative purposes, it is split into departments of Applied Mathematics, Pure Mathematics and Statistics.
The School's undergraduate programs cover a wide spectrum of courses in Applied Mathematics, Pure Mathematics, Statistics and Data Science. Its postgraduate programs include coursework degrees, face-to-face delivery and online delivery (at Graduate Diploma and Masters levels) and vigorous research programs leading to MSc and PhD degrees. Currently the School has about 80 postgraduate students, of whom approximately 50 are enrolled in the PhD program.
The Teaching Fellow is a current high school teacher and will participate in the teaching and research activities in the School as well as providing assistance for course assessment, administration and curriculum development, and outreach activities.
About the role
- $76K - $102K plus 17% Superannuation and annual leave loading
- Fixed Term – 12 months (Jan 2020 – Dec 2020)
- Full time (35 hours)
The role of Teaching Fellow reports to Dr Jonathan Kress, Director of First Year Studies, and has no direct reports.
Specific responsibilities for this role include:
- Conduct Mathematics tutorials for up to 12 hours per week.
- Provide student consultation.
- Depending on interest and capacity, undertake teaching duties and engage in mathematical research or scholarship.
- Assist in course assessment, administration and curriculum development and outreach activities.
- Undertake administrative duties as specified by the Head of school and/or the Director, first year Studies.
- Cooperate with all health and safety policies and procedures of the university and take all reasonable care to ensure that your actions or omissions do not impact on the health and safety of yourself or others.
About the successful applicant
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Degree in Mathematics or related discipline.
- Strong mathematics background.
- Demonstrated experience in teaching mathematics with recent involvement in teaching mathematics in years 11 and 12.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Interest in promoting mathematical thinking in schools and community.
- Knowledge of health and safety responsibilities and commitment to attending relevant health and safety training.
You should systematically address the selection criteria listed within the position description in your application.
More information about the program
- More information about our Visiting Teaching Fellow program
For full details of this position and application procedure, go to:
For informal queries, please see the below contact details.
Otherwise, please apply online - applications will not be accepted if sent directly to the contact listed.
Applications close: September 29th, 2019