Please note that this award is currently on hold due to COVID-19.
The purpose of the Michael Tallis PhD Research Travel Award is to provide international learning, research and networking opportunities for PhD candidates studying Statistics or Data Science at the UNSW School of Mathematics & Statistics.
The Award will support travel and associated costs to attend an international university and/or international conference in aid of research progress, to promote collaborations and develop the candidate's professional career. It will also assist in promoting the value of Australian research and assist with overcoming the challenge of geographical isolation.
This award is being donated by the Michael and Joan Tallis Endowment as a sub-fund of the Australian Philanthropic Services, set up by their daughter Lindy Tallis and is to honour Michael Tallis' memory, and his interest in statistics such as applied research into medical problems. More about Michael Tallis.
• Up to two applicants may be awarded the Award each year.
• Each Award will have a value between $5,000 and $10,000 dependent on the nature and extent of travel, and the number of awards granted.
• The candidate must be enrolled in an accredited PhD course of study in Statistics, or Data Science, in the UNSW School of Mathematics & Statistics.
• The Award is available to full-time, and part-time, candidates with satisfactory progress.
The Award shall be awarded competitively, taking into account academic merit, the benefit of the travel program to the candidate’s study, and alignment with the following:
• Preference will be given to students in the second half of their candidature.
• Preference will be given to candidates whose PhDs involve both theory and applications, including working with real data.
Applications should be submitted to Head Of School Executive Assistant, Kaye Sedgers, email@example.com and should include:
1. A brief letter addressing the selection criteria and outlining
a. Schedule of activities, expected outcomes, and benefits to study.
b. Travel budget, including transport, accommodation, meals and incidentals, and conference fees.
2. An up to date CV and academic transcript.
Please note that this award is currently on hold due to COVID-19. Updates will appear here soon.
The candidate will be required to submit a report outlining the impact the Award has made to them and their research. This will be forwarded to the Donor by the Division of Philanthropy.
The candidate may also be invited to give a talk about their international research program to UNSW staff, students and the Donor. This may take place at an Annual School Postgraduate Conference.